The church of the Holy Taxiarhai was organized by a handful of Greek Orthodox immigrants in the late 1940s. The parish existed on the northwest side of Chicago, but had a difficult time taking an active foothold.
In 1951, a young priest named Father Chrysostomos Economakos was recruited to the parish. In memory of his father’s patron saint, Father Economakos asked that the name of Saint Haralambos be added to the church’s name. The parish of the Holy Taxiarhai and Saint Haralambos was officially incorporated as a Greek Orthodox church in 1951. Services were held in a former Protestant church located on North Richmond Avenue.
Having been born in Greece, Father Economakos wanted the children of the parish, including his own, to learn the language, culture, faith and heritage of his homeland. In September of 1951, the Aristotle Greek School was founded. Five years later, the facilities on Richmond had been outgrown. The church was sold, and the parish purchased a former Jewish temple on North California in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. The change in location gave the church more space and it attracted new families. Aristotle Greek School was housed in the adjacent building, and enrollment tripled.
By 1962, within six years of the purchase, the mortgage was retired.
By 1964, the community center had been completely renovated.
By 1968, the exterior of the church had been restored.
By 1970, the iconography of the church had been completed.